Saturday, May 22, 2010

Summer plans

I started my accounting courses in June, so I have been in school for about a year. The community college doesn't offer the accounting classes I need during the summer, so I must wait until fall semester. Balancing class with a full-time job, a husband and chores has been difficult, so I'm eager for some time to decompress, though the idea of knocking out two economics classes in six weeks this summer is kind of appealing. Unfortunately, they meet Monday-Thursday for a total of four hours a day. My weekends are Monday-Tuesday, so eight hours of my weekend would be taken up by class, not to mention the studying I would have to do. And I would have to cram, just because the classes move so fast. I was constantly scrambling to finish my daily accounting homework last summer, and it nearly killed me. This summer won't be like last at work, either. We've lost more people since then, so we'll be running with a skeleton staff most of the summer, methinks. I'll need to relax, somehow, someway.

I'd like to go to concerts, maybe take in a baseball game. Summer in Northern California (the inland part, anyway) is sweltering and disgusting at times, but there's really nothing better than a warm night spent outdoors. You get a nice breeze, and ah - heaven! We're taking tennis lessons at night, so we won't die of heatstroke while practicing groundstrokes.

Luckily, tennis lessons fall under my plan to keep learning during the summer. I want to do some self-directed work with Photoshop and HTML, so I might pick up some training books or DVDs. And I've gotten Quickbooks for the Mac, so I'll brush up on my accounting over the summer and not feel too rusty when class starts again in August. My fall class will be at 7:20 a.m. twice a week - I'm hoping that doesn't kill me, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment