Saturday, June 5, 2010

No new car yet

We're still trying to find time to get to the car lots. Maybe tomorrow? Looking for cars is not something we want to do while tired or cranky, and well, we've been pretty tired and cranky since the accident. In the meantime, I've been driving Jake to work, and he has caught rides back home with the sports guys from his paper. I hope we have a car by the end of next week. We have made anniversary plans for the 14th and 15th (I can't believe it has been two years!), and I want to be able to enjoy them without having this hanging over our heads.

On another note, last night we dealt with the death of John Wooden. He's a sports legend, to be sure, so the desk wanted to make sure his passing got the treatment it deserved. I never used to be a person who thrived on adrenaline, but man, what a rush it was to get everything done. I didn't get into journalism because of nights like last night. I wanted to be a writer and take my time crafting long-form masterpieces. But now, I think I prefer the pressure cooker of deadline production work.

Monday, I reached five years in professional journalism. (That's how I differentiate from my time at the Ev, but your mileage may vary.) I don't know how much longer I will be in the business, especially as a copy editor, but I can't imagine staying in it and doing anything else. I like working with the same people every day and building a quirky, dysfunctional family-style chemistry. There are times when I wish I could do more, but we have to realize that we don't always have enough time or resources to do what we want. That has been a valuable lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment